Friday 7 October 2011

Collide

The dawn is breaking
A light shining through

What seems to be daylight,
Or is it the end of the tunnel,
We've walked for so long,
Our thirst for light and hope makes us desperate,
You're barely waking
And I'm tangled up in you
Yeah

Are you ignorant of the many times
I have stared so longingly at you,
The times we walked through the darkness
With your hand in mine?

I don't know what to think now.
It hurts,
Your piercing smile of happiness
That doesn't reach to your hollowed eyes.

I'm open, you're closed
Where I follow, you'll go
I worry I won't see your face
Light up again

Flash.
"We won't get out, will we?" I hear you say, slowly and softly.
I imagine a fear, a certain panic that was hidden behind your hoarse voice. But there was nothing at all, not even sadness. You were lost, your shoulders drooping, your head hung low. I could feel the stir of emotions rushing through you, as you masked it all with a cold, unfeeling face. I grabbed your hand and squeezed it.
"No, we will get out of here. We have to," I smiled, though you wouldn't see it, not in this darkness.
You shrugged, the very actions taking up a lot of your energy. What happened to you?
"C'mon. Let's hurry."
I literally dragged you over, trying to add a new spring in my steps, but you merely trudged along. You lost everything, your vigour, your smile, your cheerful attitude and the smile that I knew, that was so warm that it practically radiated the whole room you were in. I was afraid of losing the you I knew, your bubbly personality. Now you were a mere skeleton, with hollow eyes. I didn't want to lose you. No, never. With a desperate attempt, I squeezed your hand, as though it would squeeze some of the life back in you. I panicked, fear mocking at my very pathetic attempts.
Please. Smile again. 


Even the best fall down sometimes
Even the wrong words seem to rhyme

Out of the doubt that fills my mind
I somehow find
You and I collide

"I'm not going to do it." I heard you speak, your uncertainty shaking your voice.
"You'll have to." I tried to put as much confidence as I could into my words.
"No. You can do it alone. I'll just drag you down."
"It was a mistake, just one tiny mistake!"
"You could have died at my failure."
"Don't be so melodramatic, please."
"I don't know," you sobbed.
I left the room, not knowing how to comfort you. Guilt tugged at my heart.


I'm quiet you know
You make a first impression
I've found I'm scared to know I'm always on your mind


I don't like to talk too much, you see. I'll say something wrong every time I open my mouth. You popped out of nowhere, into my strange and ordinary life. You made a great impression, your radiant smile that shone, piercing through the darkness. It made me smile, shivering at the same time. Was I really worthy of such a friend like you? I didn't know. I didn't want to think. I just wanted to bask in the warm smile that you gave me the first time we met.

We soon became great friends, but somehow I started doubting myself, having doubts about myself, if I really deserved you. You were really a great friend. I found myself analysing each and every movement or word that I did or spoke, hoping you wouldn't see through my lies. Pathetic. I wished you wouldn't have high expectations of me.


Even the best fall down sometimes
Even the stars refuse to shine
Out of the back you fall in time
I somehow find
You and I collide

Don't stop here
I lost my place
I'm close behind


I don't want to end this. Not now.
I know I'm not good enough, but I'll change! I'll do anything!


Even the best fall down sometimes
Even the wrong words seem to rhyme
Out of the doubt that fills your mind
You finally find
You and I collide

You finally find
You and I collide
You finally find
You and I collide


Too late.
__________________________________________________________________________________

This is my opinion on the song, Collide by Howie Day. It's really nice, but a little sad, in my opinion. Haha. I love this song. It just made me want to write about it. I hope my writing didn't suck. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have fun scribbling your thoughts :D The pencil... is amused.