Saturday 15 September 2012

Emoticons :D :3 :O :( :)

as I promised.
Emoticons.
I tried not to rant--but there wasn't really much to rant about, except studies but that's really boooring.
because YOU STARE AT THE NOTES AND THE NOTES DON'T STARE BACK.
how rude.
okay, maybe they stare back but-
ahem.
onto the topic!
mooooove along, children! Mooooooove along!

[disclaimer: this post is just my own opinion, kay]



Emoticons. A fatal trap in a text message or private message. It's that one emoticon that makes you puzzled and claw at your phone/computer screen because you can't decipher what's going on! Why-why did he/she decide to put this emoticon? Is he/she trying to hint something to me or is that just his/her style? Or, why didn't he/she put an emoticon? Is he/she trying to tell me I'm irritating or annoying? What's going on? Am I reading too much into this?

To me, every emoticon is there for a reason! I mean, you could just type one simple message, like "how was your day" without any emoticons. But emoticons do somewhat spell out a lot of things about the relationship between you and that receiver of the message. Like a simple smiley face ':)', or a happy--upbeat one like ':D' or even a slight wink ';)'. They could all tell a lot.

Personally, I always use ':D' in my messages because it's a really happy one and I like things fluffy. (Some part of me wants people to feel happy because of that cheesy emoticon, like, after they see it, I wonder if they go 'that's so cheessyyyy~' and smile secretly -shrug-) However, if I'm talking to a person I sincerely like- like, have some pleasant feelings for, I tend to (GACK! I'M TALKING TOO MUCH OVER HERE) use that simple smiley face ':)' and sometimes alternate between that and my normal style. Yeah, but please, please don't misinterpret every single text I might have sent you, okay :D

To me, ':)' is the sweetest emoticon on Earth, perhaps because it's free of other complex signs and well, it looks to me like it's just a smile, a genuine smile that comes from the bottom of your heart and it's all nice and  fluffy and lovely and heartwarming. It's so simple and happy that it's like a shy smile and shy smiles are always sweet because it's just as if you're opening a part of your heart for a person, to show that you trust him/her. Frankly, I think trust is more significant than love. (I might touch up on that another time)

People have invented different types of emoticons so far, like ';P'-a devious wink and sticking out of tongue; '{#}<(^0^<)' - the waffle handing over sign, which I use to cheer people up; '=3=' - the oh-uh-it's-uh-me-haha-guilty emoticon... and many, many more. Some of them are funny and cute, like chibis and all their facial expressions but some are sad like 'D:' and ':'('. Of course, there are also ':')' touched faces and lovely encouraging emoticons-- 'd(^0^)b'...

The evolution of emoticons is really, really sweet and special, though sometimes it just blows out of proportion for me. But sometimes it's used to express the typical 'look-I'm-not-scolding-you-so-here-is-a-smiley-for-you' kinda feel and it's really, not so nice. I think every emoticon's there for a reason and that we shouldn't really use them in the way we don't feel it, but at the same time, an emoticon's there to lighten up the mood. Every emoticon is there for a reason. It's not there just because it decided to mysteriously appear. It's there because you had to type it out, perhaps alternate between the different keypads on your android or iphone. You'll have to try and appreciate every single emoticon but try not to read between the lines too often, it's really, really confusing. But an emoticon's there to help you know what's the mood of the sender. Even though there's no emoticon, don't take it too hard- perhaps the person wanted to let you know it was official and important or urgent?

Yeah, because facial communication is really important and sometimes we can't see each other, so maybe emoticons are there to help us tell each other what we mean, because words can really be misleading.

Just like that example (this is digressing a little, but I hope you don't mind!)

"She stole it"
it could mean:

"She stole it" --> who stole it, not her, but her.
"She stole it" --> what did she do to it?
"She stole it" --> what did she steal?

there :D

I can't help you decipher what each and every emoticon means, but if you really need to (which I doubt so), you can comment? (ahaha, that's like asking for comments~) yay~ and I might try to help. Okay, this is embarrassing. I'm not Aunt Agony! ><'''

So there~ have funnnnnnnnnnnn :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have fun scribbling your thoughts :D The pencil... is amused.