Sunday 11 December 2011

Enchanted -- Dedicated to Char :D

I didn't notice you, because until then I was just stuck in my own world of false beauties. I adored the latest fashion icons; the greek mythology that spelt out pretty images of young ladies; the hunks (I mean, who could ignore those fabulous six-packs of Taylor Lautner?) and their damsels in distress. In the fairytale world that I lived in, it was forever spring, petals swirling around in the air, frozen in time. The green fields of grass would remain crisp and the sun forever shining in its glory; the golden rays decorating the world with a orangey kind of vintage style. Butterflies flitted around the flowers, their fragile and delicate wings painted with a radiant pattern.

You weren't exactly the perfect guy that I saw; your front tooth knocked out by the school bully, your acne that scarred your face and your anti-social behaviour. I never did take any notice of the young boy that sat next to the window, next to me. Although I had wished for it, I was not the beautiful and popular girl that every boy in the class worshipped. I was the second-in-waiting, though not the prettiest, I still seemed pretty enough. I did not have the typical grecian nose, or those rosebud lips. My beauty just came from a quaint source and amplified through my self-confidence.

And then, at the annual school prom, I learnt enchantment. Enchantment was a flavour that I had never tasted before, like the crisp pages of a book, fresh and new, waiting for me to explore the adventures within. Enchantment lead me out of my vague and plastic universe into a real one, wherein my senses were overwhelmed by the sights, tastes, sounds and wonders whirled into a tiny ball.

I sat stiffly at the corner, not too used to the bright and colourful lights that flickered and glared at every occupant of the ballroom. I reached about the table for my orange juice and took a sip. Loud pop music blasted in the room, as the DJ addled with the buttons of the set to make it more 'funky'. I sighed as my partner had long gone after his friends --without even asking me-- to dance. Squeals hung in the air as teenagers jumped about and waved their arms. I should be joining in the dance party, but some part of me felt inferior. I had no reason to be, and yet I felt inferior because I couldn't dance.

I was a potential hazard on the dance floor.

"Hey,"  he called out, the nerd.

He was wearing old tees and jeans, his big black spectacles dropping down his nose. He grinned cheesily and I blanched.

"Yes,"  I replied, clearly uninterested.

I fingered my long, straight hair and made an effort to ignore him. My tube dress was white with a simple black belt. Peach frills decorated the end of the dress and I wore flats. Nothing too sophisticated.

"Why aren't you dancing?" he yelled over the noise.

I shrugged, very obviously hinting to him that I did not want to talk to him.

"Let's dance!" he screamed, then dragged me forcefully to the most dreaded place on earth.

The dance floor.

I stormed off, too angry. Who was he to boss me around? But then he grabbed me and turned me around.

"Why are you so eager to get out of here? Look at me. I'm just some unpopular nerd. I have heard them say all those bad things about me, I am often the target of those bullies. But I still dance. I still enjoy every single chance there is for me to do anything. I have cancer. I won't survive. What about you? You're so healthy, pretty and yet you don't cherish these chances!" he seethed angrily.

"I can't dance! I'll fall if I dance! I have horrible balance!" I shrieked back at him, all my rage suddenly gone.

"Look. Everyone can dance. Listen to the music, feel it pulsing through you, feel the beating of your heart in rhythm to the base! Try it," he spoke and shut his eyes.

Then I saw the courage he had, to survive each day and be thankful for it, no matter how undeserved it was, being bullied, talked bad about. And then, for once, all those muses of gods and godess didn't matter. He shone through all of their luminous beauty. He was beautiful.
And so I danced along with him, sure it did work. And then, it was just my new, reformed world, an utopia. But this time, I shared it with him. So as silly as we looked, we jumped about and made exaggerate movements. And as we did, we blended in with the crowd.

I was enchanted by you, the spirit you had.

But as all humans eventually did, you passed away.

I could only hope for you to feel the music in the other world too and remember our dance.
I hope you dance.

__________________________________________________________________________________

YAY! It's finally done! Thanks to Enchanted by Taylor Swift. How funny the same music makes me get over both my artist block and writer's block. :D And so, of course I have to owe it to I Hope You Dance by Leeann Womack! And of course... Primavera, a book about the Pazzi and the Medici... Italian people... I think it was related to the French Revolution...

Haha, that line about Taylor Lautner's six packs was purely on instinct. Thanks to you, Brig!

I suppose this is dedicated to Char, I fulfilled my promise! :D Sorry Char, I don't think I made the plotline strong enough...

All for now~~~

Ollie :D

1 comment:

Have fun scribbling your thoughts :D The pencil... is amused.